Transition Year Curriculum
The Transition Year Programme is a unique one year programme that promotes the personal, social, vocational and educational development of students and prepares them for their role as autonomous, participative and responsible members of society (Transition Year Guidelines, 1994, Department of Education). TY provides a bridge to enable students to make the transition from the more dependent type of learning associated with Junior Cycle to the more independent learning environment associated with Senior Cycle. It encourages the development of a wide range of transferable critical thinking and creative problem solving skills.
Transition Year is a big part of your son’s education here at the College. Our aim is to allow the boys to grow in confidence and maturity and to encourage a sense of responsibility, motivation, enthusiasm and independence, while keeping a firm grasp on academic achievement.
We work towards getting a balance between the continuation of essential core subjects, a tasting and sampling of other subjects, a variety of distinctive courses designed to broaden students’ horizons and some modules and activities specifically aimed at promoting the maturity that is central to the whole Transition Year ideal.
Our unique programme endeavours to foster in the students:
- Maturity in studies by making students more self-directed learners through the development of general, technical and academic skills
- Maturity in relation to work and careers by developing work-related skills through 2 weeks of formal Work Experience and 1 Care Week.
- Personal maturity by providing opportunities to develop communication skills, self-confidence and a sense of responsibility.
- Social maturity by developing greater ‘people’ skills and more awareness of the world outside school.
- Maturity that will help the student make a more informed choice of subject for their Leaving Certificate studies with the help and advice of our dedicated Career Guidance team.
Assessment is a key part of any worthwhile learning programme. Project work, portfolio work and exhibitions of students’ work are encouraged, while the students remain focused for the completion of Christmas and end of year exams in most subjects.
Our Transition Year Programme aims to encourage our students to develop a sense of self worth and confidence in a meaningful way. The year is filled with fun and developmental activities coupled with a full academic timetable. The boys are urged to get involved and take part in the wide variety of programmes offered.
See below elements of the Transition Year Programme:
- Business Module
- Care Week
- Delphi Adventure Centre
- Future Science
- Aer Cadet
- Homestay or Exchange Programme (Spain)
- Leaders on our Level
- Lourdes Pilgrimage
- Paris School Tour
- Peer Support Programme
- Science Club
- Work Experience
As well as all students studying the core subjects of: Irish, English, Maths, Business, P.E. and R.E., they choose four further subjects from Electives A and B.
Please click here to view the full descriptions of Electives A and B.